Let's Pick Some Apples at Stepp's Hillcrest Orchard in Hendersonville NC



It was my last day in the Chimney Rock NC area, and I decided rather than just going home I wanted to explore a bit more before I left the area.  I usually visit a winery on all my travels, and I did not want to change my tradition on this trip.  So I set my GPS to my winery of choice, Bruntshirt Vineyards, blog post to follow, in Hendersonville NC.  As I drove the country roads, I came across numerous roadside stands where the grand theme seemed to be apples.  Wouldn't it be fun if I just happened upon an apple orchard?   Well happy day,  I did!   Just a few miles from my original destination was Stepp's Hillcrest Orchard.  It was like a miracle:-)
Oh my goodness, the place was packed.   The friendly staff directed me to a perfect parking place in a field near the orchard.   Even with the large groups of people, they took the time to make me feel welcomed.
Here is a quote from their website...
"The Stepp family has been inviting guests to pick their own apples for 45 years at our 70-acre working farm and orchard in Hendersonville, NC"
If you go you will find rows and rows of apple trees.
Here is another quote from their website...
"Enjoy a visit to a Hendersonville NC apple orchardand 4th generation working farm on the crest of the BlueRidge Mountains in Western North Carolina!  Schedule a group educational farm tour, ride on the farm wagon through acres of orchard and Farmer Stepp’s pumpkin patch and grape vines.Pick your own bag of apples and/or pumpkins or select from  varieties of picked apples. Navigate a 5 acre corn maze, try hitting the target with the apple cannon. Drink a cup of delicious local fresh apple cider. Visit our Country Market for apples, pumpkins, apple cider, apple butter, apple cider donuts and apple cider slushies. Bring a picnic lunch to eat beside the orchard in our picnic area."
Folks were collecting their bounty in baskets, wagons and bags.  Some of the cars were parked at the end of the rows of apple trees where people were placing apples in their vehicles to be weighed later.
According to their website they have 20 apple varieties in their orchard.
There were apple pickers of all ages shapes and sizes.



This is my favorite apple tree.  The tree limbs all twisted and mangled but still beautiful and able to produce a lovely crop of apples.
I found a friendly looking guy sitting just outside the corn maze....
..this must be one of his family members.
It was evident that many at the farm had been here picking apples before.  Some of the kids were wearing apple themed clothing.  Many were taking photos of what appeared to be an annual event. 

Here is the address as found on the website...
Stepp Farm’s Hillcrest Orchard
 170 Stepp Orchard Drive
Hendersonville, NC 28792
(828) 685-9083
 
GPS Coordinates 35.3649746, -82.3760418

This is apple picking season.  Don't miss it.  If you find yourself near Hendersonville NC I suggest you check out Stepp Farm's Hillcrest Orchard.  I really enjoyed my visit!
Happy Travels!
KathieyV:-)
#kathieyvwriter.com
 

Comments

  1. this town looks like it was made for autumn!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apple picking is one of my favorite fall activities. I love that the orchard you visited had such fun activities. Sign me up for the apple cannon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not experience the apple cannon. Looking back I would have loved to try it, sounds like fun:-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting NC Tidbits...The Town of Buffalo NC is at the Bottom of Lake Lure.

Restaurant Review...Eddie's on Lake Norman, Mooresville NC

The Hickory Nut Gift and Antique Shop in Chimney Rock NC