Interesting NC Tidbits...The Town of Buffalo NC is at the Bottom of Lake Lure.

A few weeks ago I took a trip to beautiful Lake Lure located in my state of NC.  Little did I know that there was a town called Buffalo under the Lake Lure waters.  

I met a lady at a local restaurant that told me the town remains as it was, completely preserved under the water, an underwater ghost town.  On the Lake Lure pontoon boat adventure I took, I was told that Buffalo was burned to the ground just prior to the flooding.

I went online to see what facts I could find about the town of Buffalo. Buffalo was a farming and mining community.  The population was approximately 150 people.  There was a church called Whiteside Valley Church of 1918 that had about 98 members.  

The dam was built to generate electricity in the early 1900's, and just after the completion of the dam the town was flooded.    From what I could find online much of the town was torn down and relocated as were parts of the church.  The graves in the small graveyard were relocated as well.  You can read more at The Lost Town/Village of Buffalo.
If you get a chance visit the lake.  It is lovely.  As you take your pontoon boat ride remember in the center of the lake there used to be a city called Buffalo.
Happy Travels Everyone!
KathieyV

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Restaurant Review...Eddie's on Lake Norman, Mooresville NC

The Hickory Nut Gift and Antique Shop in Chimney Rock NC