Gingerbread House Seasonal Competitions in North Carolina

I have always been fascinated with the gingerbread house.  It is so much fun to come across the occasional gingerbread house competition during the holidays.  The amount of talent and patience that goes into building such a creation is impressive to me because I have neither.
Have I ever built a gingerbread house?   I guess you could say yes, I have tried.  The house I created had walls and a roof, and of course windows.  To be more accurate I would have to call my house a shack to give you the proper feel for the level of my creativity.
In North Carolina a National Gingerbread House Competition is held at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville.  They began this tradition in 1992,  and it has become a seasonal attraction. I noticed on the official  website there is a Gingerbread hotline.  I wonder why you would call them?
Here is a sample of the entries for the 2017 event from romanticasheville.com Amazing!
I have been to the Grove Park Inn.  I was not there for Gingerbread House Competition my visit was in the summer.  It is lovely property.  Check out my past post to see the photos of this enchanting property. Exploring Grove Park Inn in Asheville NC
Many towns in NC hold smaller events.  Cary had one this year and sadly I missed it.  I did snap a photo at another event in Cary where they displayed a couple of the competing houses..


As I was researching gingerbread houses, I came across the largest one ever build.  This gigantic gingerbread house was built in Texas in 2013 and according to People Magazine....
"The structure may have started as a wood base, but it took 1,800 pounds of butter, 7,200 eggs, 3,000 pounds of sugar, 7,200 pounds of flour and countless volunteers to become the tasty, record-breaking reality it is today."
Isn't there a saying that "everything is bigger in Texas?"  Well, I guess this house proves there is truth to that claim.
(People Magazine Photo 2013)

I am not sure if Texas still holds the world record.  I am sure there will others at some point trying to claim the title.
I will leave you with the gingerbread house that was built at my home in 2010...
If we would have entered the contest at the Inn in Asheville maybe we would have won:-)
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!
KathieyV:-)

Comments

  1. Wow those gingerbread houses in the competition are impressive! I've done a couple gingerbread houses; at NCSSM we'd have an annual gingerbread house competition between the dorms, but you weren't allowed to use any templates, just squares of gingerbread and icing and candy! There were usually one or two decent houses and all the rest were on a spectrum of "hot mess" haha!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting NC Tidbits...The Town of Buffalo NC is at the Bottom of Lake Lure.

Restaurant Review...Eddie's on Lake Norman, Mooresville NC

The Hickory Nut Gift and Antique Shop in Chimney Rock NC